The port town of Calasetta is situated at the northern tip of the island of Sant'Antioco in the Province of South Sardinia.
Officially belonging to the Comune of Sant'Antioco, one of the town's most important facilities is its ferry port from which you can sail across to Carloforte on the neighbouring San Pietro Island. Calasetta can also boast a number of beaches nearby.
Calasetta is a charming coastal town located on the southwestern tip of the island of Sant'Antioco, off the southern coast of Sardinia, Italy. With its picturesque beaches, clear waters, and historical landmarks, Calasetta offers a perfect blend of relaxation and cultural exploration for visitors.
Highlights and nearby attractions
- Beaches: Calasetta is known for its beautiful beaches with fine white sand and clear turquoise waters. Spiaggia Grande, Spiaggia di Sottotorre, and Spiaggia delle Saline are some of the popular beaches in the area, offering opportunities for swimming, sunbathing, and water sports.
- San Pietro Island: Calasetta is the main town on the island of Sant'Antioco, which is connected to the mainland by a bridge. San Pietro Island, located just off the coast, is accessible by ferry and offers even more stunning beaches and coastal landscapes to explore.
- Torre Sabauda: The town is home to the Torre Sabauda, a historic watchtower dating back to the 18th century. The tower was built by the Savoy family as part of a defensive network against pirates and is now a symbol of Calasetta's maritime past.
- Phoenician Tophet: Near Calasetta, visitors can explore the Phoenician Tophet, an ancient archaeological site where urns containing the remains of children and animals were found, believed to be part of a religious ritual.
- Lighthouse and Capo Sandalo: The Capo Sandalo Lighthouse is located on the western tip of San Pietro Island, offering panoramic views of the surrounding sea and cliffs. It's a great spot to witness stunning sunsets.
- Local Cuisine: Calasetta's culinary scene revolves around fresh seafood dishes, with many restaurants and trattorias serving delicious Sardinian specialties. Don't miss the chance to try dishes like "cassola," a local fish stew.
- Festivals and Events: The town hosts several traditional festivals and events throughout the year, celebrating its seafaring heritage and cultural traditions.
- Accommodation: Calasetta offers various accommodation options, including hotels, guesthouses, and vacation rentals, ensuring a comfortable stay for tourists.
- Accessibility: Calasetta can be reached by car from major towns and cities in Sardinia. The nearest airport is Cagliari-Elmas Airport, located approximately 80 kilometers away.
Comune di Calasetta