The town of Capranica belongs to the historical area known as Tuscia, the Roman name for Etruria, the land of the Etruscans.
Capranica is situated within the Province of Viterbo and stands at an elevation of 370 metres above sea level. The town has a population of 6,442 while places of interest nearby include Sutri, Ronciglione, Bassano Romano and Trevignano Romano.
Capranica is a charming hilltop town located in the province of Viterbo, in the Lazio region of central Italy. Situated about 55 kilometers north of Rome, Capranica is known for its historical heritage, picturesque setting, and medieval atmosphere.
The history of Capranica can be traced back to ancient times, with evidence of Etruscan and Roman influences. The town played a significant role during the medieval period, and its strategic location made it a focal point for various historical events. Visitors can explore the remnants of ancient walls, towers, and churches that stand as testaments to Capranica's rich past.
Highlights and nearby attractions
- Historic Centre: The heart of Capranica is its historic centre, characterized by narrow cobbled streets, stone houses, and medieval architecture. The town's fortified walls and ancient gateways add to its charm.
- Rocca dei Borgia: Capranica is home to the Rocca edei Borgia, a medieval fortress that was once owned by the infamous Borgia family. The fortress offers panoramic views of the surrounding landscape.
- Santa Maria Assunta Church: The Chiesa di Santa Maria Assunta is the main church in Capranica, featuring beautiful frescoes and religious artifacts.
- Panoramic Views: Capranica's elevated position on a hilltop provides stunning panoramic views of the nearby valleys and hills.
- Nature and Hiking: The surrounding countryside offers opportunities for nature walks and hiking, with picturesque trails leading through olive groves and vineyards.
- Local Cuisine: Capranica is known for its delicious Italian cuisine, and visitors can enjoy traditional dishes in the town's trattorias and restaurants.
- Festivals and Events: Throughout the year, Capranica hosts various festivals and cultural events that showcase the town's traditions and local heritage.
- Proximity to Rome: Capranica is a short drive away from Rome, making it an ideal day trip destination for those staying in the capital city.
Comune di Capranica