Latest update: 26 February 2022
The Rocca Albornoziana is a 14th century fortress that overlooks the city of Spoleto in the central Italian region of Umbria. It was built in 1359 at the behest of Pope Innocent VI who employed the Spanish Cardinal Egidio Albornoz to carry out the work.
Inside the castle is the Museo Nazionale del Ducato di Spoleto, celebrating the history of the Duchy of Spoleto.
Spoleto's Rocca Albornoziana is not to be confused with the fortress of the same name in the hill town of Orvieto, eighty kilometres to the west of Spoleto. The construction of both castles was however overseen by the same Cardinal Egidio Albornoz whose name adorns both.