The town of Cagnano Varano is situated on the Gargano Peninsula within the Province of Foggia. It has a population of just under seven thousand inhabitants.
Nearby places of interest include Lake Varano, Capoiale, Foce Varano and Rodi Garganico, while Bari Karol Wojtyla Airport is 207 kilometres away, reachable by car in an hour and 58 minutes.
Cagnano Varano is a picturesque town located in the Puglia region of southern Italy. Situated in the Gargano National Park, Cagnano Varano offers visitors a delightful blend of natural beauty, historical charm, and a glimpse into the authentic rural life of Puglia.
Cagnano Varano has ancient origins, with evidence of prehistoric settlements in the area. Over the centuries, the town was influenced by various civilizations, including the Greeks, Romans, and Normans. During the medieval period, it became a fortified center, and its historical heritage is evident through its well-preserved architecture and cultural traditions.
Highlights and nearby attractions
- Historic Centre: The heart of Cagnano Varano is its historic centre, characterized by narrow cobbled streets, ancient buildings, and charming squares. Visitors can take leisurely walks through the town's alleys and admire its medieval charm.
- Cagnano Varano Castle: The Cagnano Varano Castle, also known as the Castello del Monte, is a notable landmark in the town. The castle dates back to the medieval era and offers panoramic views of the surrounding countryside.
- Chiesa Matrice di San Nicola di Bari: The Chiesa Matrice di San Nicola di Bari is the main religious site in Cagnano Varano. This beautiful church features a mix of architectural styles, including Romanesque and Baroque elements.
- Lake Varano: Cagnano Varano is located near Lake Varano, the largest lake in the Gargano National Park. The lake offers opportunities for fishing, boat trips, and enjoying the serene natural surroundings.
- Gargano National Park: Cagnano Varano is part of the Gargano National Park, a vast protected area known for its diverse landscapes, including forests, coastal cliffs, and sandy beaches. The park provides excellent hiking and trekking trails, making it a haven for nature enthusiasts.
- Local Cuisine: Puglia is renowned for its delicious and traditional cuisine. In Cagnano Varano, visitors can savor regional specialties such as fresh seafood, locally produced olive oil, and hearty rustic dishes.
- Festivals and Events: Cagnano Varano hosts various festivals and events throughout the year, celebrating local traditions and cultural heritage. The "Festa di San Nicola," held in May, is one of the most significant, featuring religious processions and traditional festivities.
Comune di Cagnano Varano