Castello Svevo Normanno (Bari)
Latest update: 19 February 2022
The Castello Svevo Normanno in Bari was originally built in the twelfth century. The castle's name comes from the Normans who established it in 1132 and the Swabians who rebuilt it in 1233.
Surrounded on three sides by a dry moat, the castle occupies a south-eastern area of Bari Vecchia, the old town of the capital city of Puglia, and just a short walk from the Cattedrale di San Sabino.
The Swabians (Svevi) were the Hohenstaufen dynasty of the Holy Roman Empire. It is rumoured that in 1221, Frederick II, the Holy Roman Emperor invited Saint Francis of Assisi as a guest to the castle. While there, Frederick II sent a courtesan to the saint's room to see if he would succumb to temptation and the legend is that he turned the girl away, greatly impressing the emperor.