The town of Civitella d'Agliano belongs to the historical area of Tuscia, the Roman name for Etruria, the land of the Etruscans.
Civitella d'Agliano is situated within the Province of Viterbo and stands at an elevation of 262 metres above sea level. The town has a population of around 1,500 while places of interest nearby include Cività di Bagnoregio, Celleno, Lubriano and Montefiascone.
Civitella d'Agliano is a charming hilltop village located in the province of Viterbo, in the Lazio region of central Italy. Situated amidst the beautiful Tuscia countryside, Civitella d'Agliano is known for its medieval architecture, picturesque streets, and breathtaking views of the surrounding landscapes.
The history of Civitella d'Agliano dates back to ancient times, with evidence of Etruscan and Roman settlements in the area. During the Middle Ages, the village was part of the Papal States and was strategically positioned along the Via Francigena, an important pilgrimage route from Canterbury to Rome. As a result, Civitella d'Agliano became a fortified village to protect travelers and pilgrims.
Highlights and nearby attractions
- Historic Centre: The village's historic centre is a well-preserved medieval enclave, with narrow cobblestone streets, ancient buildings, and charming squares. Strolling through the village, visitors can admire the architecture and immerse themselves in the medieval ambiance.
- Rocca Albornoziana: The Rocca Albornoziana, also known as the Fortress of Civitella, is an impressive medieval castle that dominates the village's skyline. The fortress offers panoramic views of the surrounding countryside and is a great spot to capture stunning photographs.
- Church of San Donato: The Church of San Donato is a beautiful religious building with a Romanesque façade and a serene interior adorned with frescoes and religious art.
- Olive Oil: Civitella d'Agliano is known for its production of high-quality olive oil. Visitors can taste and purchase local olive oil products during their stay.
- Nature and Hiking: The village is surrounded by lush greenery and offers opportunities for hiking and nature walks in the Tuscia countryside.
- Local Cuisine: Civitella d'Agliano offers delicious traditional Italian cuisine, with local trattorias and restaurants serving regional dishes made from fresh, locally sourced ingredients.
- Festivals and Events: Throughout the year, the village celebrates various festivals and events, providing insight into local traditions and culture.
Comune di Civitella d'Agliano