The town of Eboli is located within the Province of Salerno and has a population of 39,984 inhabitants.
Covering an area of 138 km², it stands at an elevation of 145 metres above sea level and lies 85 km from Naples. Along with neighbouring Battipaglia, Eboli is best known for its production of Buffalo Mozzarella.
The town's name is now also deeply entrenched in popular culture; in 1945 Carlo Levi wrote his book "Christ Stopped at Eboli" (Cristo si é fermato a Eboli). The title is based upon a local phrase which refers to the poverty of Basilicata, the region that borders Campania close to Eboli.
Eboli, situated in the Campania region of Italy, is a town with a rich history that dates back to ancient times. Its origins are linked to the Samnites and the ancient Roman Empire. Throughout history, Eboli has witnessed various rulers and cultures, including the Normans, Swabians, and Bourbons. The town's historical significance is evident in its architecture, landmarks, and cultural heritage.
Highlights and nearby attractions
- Historical Centre: Stroll through Eboli's historical centre, characterized by its medieval streets, alleys, and squares. Discover charming architecture that reflects the town's past.
- Norman Castle: Visit the Norman Castle of Eboli, an impressive fortress that overlooks the town. The castle's history and architecture provide insights into the region's past.
- Churches: Explore Eboli's churches, including the Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta, which features a beautiful Baroque façade and houses religious artworks.
- Palazzo di Città: Discover Palazzo di Città, the town hall, which boasts a blend of architectural styles and often serves as a venue for cultural events and exhibitions.
- Local Cuisine: Indulge in Campanian cuisine at local trattorias and restaurants. Sample dishes featuring fresh ingredients, olive oil, and regional flavours.
- Local Markets: Experience the local culture by visiting the town's markets, where you can find fresh produce, artisanal products, and a lively atmosphere.
- Festivals and Events: If your visit aligns with local festivals, you can participate in celebrations that showcase traditional music, dance, and cuisine.
- Accommodation: Eboli offers accommodations, including hotels and guesthouses, providing a comfortable stay for visitors.
Comune di Eboli