Lago Grande di Avigliana
Situated in the Metropolitan City of Turin province, the Lago Grande di Avigliana covers an area of 91 hectares. The lake is 28 metres deep at its deepest point and stands at an elevation of 195 metres above sea level.
Nearby places of interest include Avigliana, Sacra di San Michele, Susa, Rivoli Castle and Turin.
Lago Grande di Avigliana, also known as Lake Avigliana, is a beautiful lake located in the Piedmont region of northern Italy. It lies near the town of Avigliana, in the province of Turin. The lake is a popular destination for both locals and tourists, offering a picturesque setting and various recreational activities.
Lake Avigliana has a rich history dating back to ancient times. It was formed during the last Ice Age as a result of glacial activity in the region. Over the centuries, the lake has played a significant role in the development of the surrounding area, providing water for agriculture and supporting local communities.
Highlights and nearby attractions
- Scenic Beauty: The lake is surrounded by lush vegetation and wooded hills, providing a stunning backdrop for the clear waters of the lake. The natural beauty of the area is ideal for nature lovers and photographers.
- Water Activities: Lake Avigliana offers a range of water-based activities, including swimming, boating, and fishing. Visitors can rent pedal boats or rowboats to explore the lake's waters.
- Hiking and Biking: There are several hiking and biking trails around the lake, allowing visitors to explore the surrounding countryside and enjoy panoramic views of the lake and the nearby mountains.
- Birdwatching: The lake is a haven for birdwatchers, with various bird species found in the area. Herons, ducks, and other waterfowl can often be spotted along the shores.
- Historical Sites: Avigliana, the town near the lake, has a rich history and is home to several historical sites and landmarks. Visitors can explore medieval castles, churches, and museums that offer insights into the area's past.
- Relaxation and Picnicking: The lakeside area provides a peaceful setting for relaxation and picnicking. Visitors can enjoy a leisurely day by the lake, taking in the beautiful scenery and fresh air.
- Cultural Events: Throughout the year, Lake Avigliana hosts various cultural events, concerts, and festivals that showcase local traditions and add to the vibrant atmosphere.
- Avigliana Lakes Park: The lake is part of the Parco Naturale dei Laghi di Avigliana e della Serra, a natural park that protects the lake and its surroundings, making it an important conservation area.