The ski resort of Roccaraso is located within the Province of l'Aquila and has a population of 1,661 inhabitants. It's situated 101 kilometres south east of the city of l'Aquila and 107 km south of Pescara.
Standing at an elevation of 1,661 metres above sea level, it covers an area of 50 km².
Roccaraso is a charming town located in the province of L'Aquila, in the Abruzzo region of central Italy. It is one of the most popular ski resorts in the country and is well-known for its scenic beauty, winter sports, and charming mountain village atmosphere.
The history of Roccaraso dates back to ancient times, with evidence of human settlements dating back to the Roman era. The town's strategic location in the Apennine Mountains made it a significant outpost during medieval times, serving as a defensive stronghold against invasions and a trade hub along the ancient routes.
Highlights and nearby attractions
- Ski Resort: Roccaraso is a paradise for winter sports enthusiasts, offering excellent skiing and snowboarding facilities. The town is part of the Roccaraso-Aremogna ski area, which includes several slopes suitable for all levels, from beginners to experienced skiers. The ski season usually runs from December to April.
- Scenic Landscapes: Roccaraso is surrounded by stunning landscapes of the Apennines, providing a breathtaking backdrop for outdoor activities year-round. During the warmer months, visitors can enjoy hiking, mountain biking, and exploring the nearby natural reserves and parks.
- Historic Centre: Roccaraso's historic centre is characterized by charming narrow streets, stone houses, and historic buildings that reflect its ancient past. The Church of Santa Maria Assunta and the Church of San Rocco are notable landmarks worth visiting.
- Local Cuisine: The Abruzzo region is renowned for its delicious cuisine, and Roccaraso is no exception. Visitors can indulge in traditional dishes, including hearty stews, homemade pasta, and locally produced cheese and salami.
- Summer Events: In the summer, Roccaraso hosts various events and festivals, offering visitors a chance to experience the region's cultural traditions and music. The town's lively atmosphere during the summer months attracts both locals and tourists.
- Nearby Attractions: Roccaraso serves as an excellent base for exploring other attractions in the region, including the picturesque village of Pescocostanzo, the National Park of Abruzzo, Lazio, and Molise, and the enchanting Lake Scanno.
- Family-Friendly Destination: Roccaraso is a family-friendly destination, with activities suitable for visitors of all ages. In addition to skiing and snowboarding, families can enjoy sledding, snowshoeing, and other winter activities.
- Accessibility: Roccaraso is easily accessible by car and public transportation. The town's proximity to major cities like Rome and Naples makes it a popular weekend getaway destination.
Comune di Roccaraso