The city of Avezzano is situated within the Province of l'Aquila and has a population of 42,486 inhabitants. Covering an area of 104 km², it stands 695 metres above sea level and is located around 62 km south of l'Aquila, capital of Abruzzo.
The main attractions of Avezzano include Orsini-Colonna Castle and the Cattedrale di San Bartolomeo.
Avezzano is a lively town located in the Abruzzo region of central Italy. Situated in the province of L'Aquila, Avezzano lies in the heart of the Marsica area, surrounded by beautiful landscapes and rolling hills. The town has a rich history dating back to ancient times and offers a mix of historical and cultural attractions, as well as opportunities for outdoor activities.
Avezzano has ancient origins, with evidence of settlements dating back to prehistoric times. However, its history took a significant turn in 1915 when the town was hit by a devastating earthquake that caused widespread destruction and loss of life. The town was later rebuilt, and today, it stands as a testament to resilience and determination.
Highlights and nearby attractions
- Cattedrale di San Bartolomeo: Visit the Cathedral of San Bartolomeo, a beautiful church that showcases a mix of architectural styles and houses valuable religious artefacts.
- Museo Marsicano: Explore the Museo Marsicano, a museum that exhibits archaeological findings, historical artifacts, and artworks that tell the story of the region.
- Parco Nazionale d'Abruzzo, Lazio e Molise: Avezzano is a gateway to the Abruzzo National Park, one of Italy's largest national parks, offering opportunities for hiking, wildlife spotting, and enjoying pristine nature.
- Lago di San Benedetto: Take a trip to Lago di San Benedetto, a picturesque lake located near Avezzano, where you can enjoy fishing, picnicking, and leisurely walks.
- Local Festivals: Check for local festivals and events, as Avezzano hosts traditional celebrations throughout the year, providing insights into the local culture and traditions.
- Local Cuisine: Savour the flavors of Abruzzo cuisine in Avezzano's restaurants and trattorias, where you can try regional specialties such as arrosticini, pasta dishes, and locally produced cheeses and wines.
- Avezzano's Historic Centre: Take a leisurely stroll through the town's historic centre to admire its architecture, quaint squares, and charming streets.
Comune di Avezzano