Borghetto Santo Spirito
The seaside town of Borghetto Santo Spirito is situated on the Riviera di Ponente in the Province of Savona. It has a population of around 4,660 inhabitants with the main highlights being the colourful centro storico (old town) and the beach.
Nearby places of interest include the towns of Ceriale, Loano, Toirano, Pietra Ligure, Albenga and Varigotti.
Borghetto Santo Spirito is a charming coastal town located in the Liguria region of northern Italy. Situated along the Italian Riviera, between Savona and Loano, Borghetto Santo Spirito offers a mix of beautiful beaches, historical heritage, and a laid-back atmosphere, making it an appealing destination for tourists seeking a relaxing beach vacation with a touch of history.
Borghetto Santo Spirito has a history that dates back to ancient times, with evidence of human settlements in the area from prehistoric eras. During the Middle Ages, the town grew in importance as a fishing and agricultural community and played a significant role in regional maritime trade. Over the centuries, Borghetto Santo Spirito was influenced by various ruling families and empires, including the Genoese Republic.
Highlights and nearby attractions
- Beaches: The town boasts several beautiful sandy and pebble beaches, making it an ideal destination for beach lovers. The clear waters of the Ligurian Sea provide opportunities for swimming, sunbathing, and water sports.
- Historical Center: Borghetto Santo Spirito's historical center features narrow cobblestone streets, ancient buildings, and quaint squares, preserving its historical charm.
- Church of Santo Spirito: One of the main landmarks in Borghetto Santo Spirito is the Church of Santo Spirito, a beautiful religious building with a baroque facade and valuable artworks.
- Local Cuisine: The town offers a selection of restaurants and trattorias where visitors can savor traditional Ligurian dishes, including fresh seafood, pesto sauce, and local wines.
- Proximity to Other Towns: Borghetto Santo Spirito is conveniently located near other charming Ligurian towns, such as Loano and Finale Ligure, making it a perfect base for exploring the region.
- Cycling and Hiking: The surrounding countryside offers cycling paths and hiking trails, allowing visitors to explore the lush landscapes and Mediterranean vegetation.
- Festivals and Events: Borghetto Santo Spirito hosts various cultural events and festivals throughout the year, providing insights into local traditions and customs.
Comune di Borghetto Santo Spirito
Population: 4,552 (source: ISTAT 1 January 2022)
Size: 5 km²
Highlights: colourful borgo (old town), seafront, beach
Water quality: Blue Flag Beach 2021 - 2022
Close by: Ceriale, Loano, Toirano, Pietra Ligure, Albenga, Varigotti
Recommended accommodation: Hotel Ca' de Berna (9 km)