Latest update: 10 March 2022
The village of Civita is situated within the Province of Cosenza and has a population of around 890 inhabitants.
It stands at an elevation of 450 metres above sea level and is included in the list of Borghi Più Belli d'Italia (most beautiful villages in Italy). Places of interest nearby include the towns of Castrovillari, Morano Calabro, Sybaris and Trebisacce.
Civita, a charming village located in the Calabria region of Italy, boasts a history that stretches back through the ages. With origins dating to ancient times, Civita has been shaped by various civilizations and cultures that have left their mark on its architecture, traditions, and way of life.
- Historical Center: Wander through the cobblestone streets of the historical center, where ancient buildings, medieval architecture, and narrow alleys transport you back in time. The charm of Civita lies in its well-preserved historic core.
- Civita's Bridge: Marvel at the iconic "Ponte del Diavolo" (Devil's Bridge), an ancient stone bridge that connects Civita to the modern town of Bagnara Calabra. The bridge's history and architectural significance make it a fascinating landmark.
- Churches and Monuments: Discover the village's churches and monuments that showcase its religious and cultural heritage. The architecture and artworks provide insights into Civita's history and its role as a spiritual center.
- Local Cuisine: Savor Calabrian flavors at local eateries, trattorias, and cafes. Try regional dishes that highlight local ingredients and traditional recipes, offering a delightful culinary journey.
- Scenic Views: Enjoy panoramic views of the surrounding landscape from vantage points in and around the village. The picturesque vistas capture the beauty of the Calabrian countryside and coastline.
- Cultural Events: Depending on your visit, you might have the chance to participate in local festivals and events that celebrate Civita's traditions and heritage.
- Hospitality: Experience the warm hospitality of the local community, who are proud of their village's history and are eager to share it with visitors.
Comune di Civita
One of I Borghi più belli d'Italia (Italy's Most Beautiful Villages)
Listing headline: Tradizioni Albanesi
Awarded the Bandiera Arancione (Orange Flag)
Comments: "Great Tourist Information"
1 of 6 in Calabria listed by Touring Club Italiano