Located in the Province of l'Aquila, Lake Scanno has a surface area of 93 hectares and a maximum depth of 36 metres. The lake sits between the towns of Scanno and Villalago, 107 kilometres from the city of l'Aquila, the regional capital of Abruzzo.
Among the places of interest close by are Scanno, Villalago, Anversa degli Abruzzi, Opi, Barrea.
Nestled in the captivating region of Abruzzo, Italy, Lake Scanno is a natural wonder with a history that dates back centuries. The lake was formed by a massive landslide that blocked the path of the river Tasso, creating the beautiful basin we see today. Lake Scanno has been a source of inspiration for artists and travelers for generations, known for its crystal-clear waters and stunning surroundings.
Lake Scanno is located in the Abruzzo region of Italy. Accessible by road, it is approximately 180 kilometers (112 miles) east of Rome. The journey takes you through the scenic landscapes of Abruzzo.
Highlights and nearby attractions
- Natural Beauty: Lake Scanno is renowned for its stunning, clear blue waters that mirror the surrounding mountains and greenery. The lake's picturesque setting is perfect for photography, relaxation, and admiring the landscapes.
- Boating and Swimming: Enjoy boat rides on the lake to fully appreciate its beauty from the water. Swimming is also popular during the warmer months, allowing you to refresh yourself in the clear waters.
- Scenic Drives: The roads around Lake Scanno offer breathtaking views, making it a great destination for leisurely drives. The winding roads lead to viewpoints where you can capture panoramic shots of the lake and its surroundings.
- Villages: Nearby, you'll find charming villages, including the village of Scanno itself. Explore the cobbled streets, local shops, and traditional architecture that capture the essence of Abruzzo.
- Cultural Heritage: Discover the culture and history of the area through interactions with locals and visits to historic sites. The surrounding region is rich in traditions and local crafts.
- Hiking and Nature Trails: Surrounding the lake are numerous trails that allow you to explore the diverse flora and fauna of the Abruzzo National Park. Hiking enthusiasts will find plenty of opportunities to explore the natural beauty.
- Photography: Lake Scanno's picturesque landscapes make it a favorite spot for photographers. Capture the changing moods of the lake, whether it's the tranquil morning reflections or the colors of sunset.
- Accommodation: Accommodation options around Lake Scanno range from cozy guesthouses to lakeside hotels, offering a variety of choices for a comfortable stay.
Lago di Scanno
Surface area: 93 hectares
Maximum depth: 36 metres
Surface elevation: 930 metres
Water quality: Blue Flag Beach 2021 - 2022
Close by: Scanno, Villalago, Anversa degli Abruzzi, Opi, Barrea
By car: Pescara - 1 hr 12 mins, L'Aquila - 1 hr 39, Teramo - 1 hr 47
Recommended accommodation: Hotel Rojan (28 km)