The hill town of Lanusei is situated within the Province of Nuoro, a distance of 138 kilometres north-east of Cagliari, the regional capital of Sardinia.
Standing at an elevation of 595 metres above sea level, it has a population of around 5,000 residents.
Some of the nearby places of interest include the port of Arbatax, Santa Maria Navarrese and Punta Pedra Longa.
The recommended accommodation for Lanusei is the Hotel Bosco Selene.
Lanusei is a charming hilltop town located in the central part of Sardinia, Italy. It is situated in the province of Ogliastra and surrounded by picturesque landscapes, including rolling hills, lush forests, and stunning panoramic views. Lanusei is known for its tranquil atmosphere, historical sites, and opportunities for outdoor activities, making it an appealing destination for nature enthusiasts and those seeking a peaceful retreat in Sardinia.
Lanusei's history can be traced back to ancient times when it was part of the territory inhabited by the Nuragic civilization. Throughout history, the area was influenced by various civilizations, including the Phoenicians, Carthaginians, Romans, and the Byzantine Empire. The town later became part of the Giudicato of Arborea and then fell under the rule of the Kingdom of Sardinia.
Highlights and nearby attractions
- Historic Centre: Lanusei's historic center boasts charming narrow streets, old stone buildings, and quaint squares. Piazza Roma, the main square, is a popular gathering spot and a great place to experience the local culture.
- Chiesa di San Sebastiano: The Church of San Sebastiano, located in the heart of Lanusei, is an important religious site with beautiful frescoes and historical significance.
- Nuraghe Serbissi: A short distance from Lanusei, you can find the Nuraghe Serbissi, an ancient Nuragic archaeological site. This prehistoric tower is a testament to Sardinia's ancient past.
- Monte Armidda: The town is surrounded by beautiful natural landscapes, and Monte Armidda, a nearby mountain, offers hiking opportunities with scenic views of the surrounding countryside.
- Outdoor Activities: The surrounding area of Lanusei is ideal for outdoor activities such as trekking, mountain biking, and birdwatching.
- Festivals and Events: Throughout the year, Lanusei hosts various festivals and events, celebrating its cultural heritage, traditional music, and local cuisine.
- Wine and Cuisine: Visitors can savor traditional Sardinian cuisine at local restaurants and trattorias, paired with the region's renowned wines.
- Beaches: While Lanusei is a hilltop town, it is relatively close to the stunning beaches of the Ogliastra region, offering opportunities for day trips to the coast.
- Accessibility: Lanusei is accessible by car from major cities in Sardinia. The nearest airport is Olbia Costa Smeralda Airport, located approximately 140 kilometers away.
Comune di Lanusei