The town of Latisana is situated within the Province of Udine and has a population of around 13,500 residents. It stands at an elevation of 7metres above sea level.
Places of interest nearby include the towns of Marano Lagunare, Lignano Sabbiadoro and Sesto al Reghena while the recommended accommodation for Latisana is the Hotel Cigno.
Latisana is a charming town located in the Friuli-Venezia Giulia region of northeastern Italy. It lies in the province of Udine and is known for its historical significance, natural beauty, and cultural heritage.
Latisana has ancient origins dating back to Roman times when it was an important settlement along the Via Annia, a Roman road connecting Aquileia and Concordia Sagittaria. Over the centuries, the town witnessed the rule of various ruling families, including the Patriarchs of Aquileia and the Venetian Republic. The Venetian influence is evident in the town's architecture and layout.
Highlights and nearby attractions
- Piazza Libertà: The heart of Latisana is Piazza Libertà, a picturesque square surrounded by historic buildings. The 18th-century Palazzo Municipale and the Church of San Michele Arcangelo are prominent features of the square.
- Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta: The town's main church, the Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta, is an impressive religious site with an elegant facade and beautiful artworks inside.
- Venetian Bridges: Latisana is known for its several Venetian-style bridges that cross the Tagliamento River. These bridges are not only functional but also add to the town's unique character.
- Lignano Sabbiadoro: Just a short drive away from Latisana is the popular seaside resort of Lignano Sabbiadoro. With its sandy beaches, entertainment options, and watersports facilities, it is a great place to relax and enjoy the Adriatic Sea.
- Proximity to Other Attractions: Latisana's location allows easy access to other fascinating destinations in Friuli-Venezia Giulia. Trieste, Udine, and Grado are among the nearby places worth exploring.
- Local Cuisine: Enjoy the delicious flavors of Friuli in Latisana's restaurants and trattorias. Sample dishes like frico (a cheese and potato pancake), brovada (pickled turnips), and seafood delicacies from the nearby coast.
- Local Festivals: Latisana hosts various events and festivals throughout the year that celebrate local traditions and culture. The "Festival della Polenta" is a popular culinary event dedicated to polenta, a traditional dish made from cornmeal.
Comune di Latisana