Latest update: 8 March 2022
The town of Rossano is situated within the Province of Cosenza and has a population of 40,428 inhabitants. Covering an area of 149 km², it stands 270 metres above sea level and is located 178 km from Catanzaro, the capital city of Calabria.
The most famous sight in Rossano is its cathedral, (Cattedrale di Maria Santissima Achiropita), built in the eleventh century.
Rossano, located in the Calabria region of Italy, is a city steeped in history that traces its origins back to ancient times. With a legacy shaped by various civilizations, including the Byzantines and Normans, Rossano boasts a rich historical and cultural heritage that has left an indelible mark on its architecture, traditions, and artistic legacy.
- Rossano Codex: Discover the historic significance of the Rossano Codex, an illuminated Gospel book that dates back to the 6th century. It is considered one of the oldest and most important illuminated manuscripts in existence.
- Historical Center: Wander through the streets of the historical center, where medieval buildings, narrow alleys, and quaint squares evoke a sense of nostalgia. The city's architecture is a testament to its long history.
- Byzantine Church of Santa Maria: Visit the Byzantine Church of Santa Maria, a UNESCO World Heritage Site renowned for its intricate frescoes and mosaic artwork. The church reflects the Byzantine influence on the region.
- Amarelli Liquorice Museum: Discover the history and production of liquorice, a traditional Calabrian product, at the Amarelli Liquorice Museum. The museum provides insights into the region's culinary heritage.
- Cultural Events: Depending on your visit, you might have the opportunity to participate in local festivals, art exhibitions, and events that celebrate Rossano's culture and traditions.
- Spiritual Heritage: Explore Rossano's spiritual side by visiting its monasteries and religious sites, including the Cathedral of Rossano. The city's connection to spirituality is deeply ingrained in its history.
- Local Cuisine: Immerse yourself in Calabrian flavors by dining at local restaurants and trattorias. Sample regional dishes that showcase local ingredients and culinary traditions.
- Hospitality: Experience the warm hospitality of the local community, who take pride in sharing their city's history and traditions with visitors.
Rossano - frazione di Corigliano-Rossano