The town of Trezzo sull'Adda is situated within the Metropolitan City of Milan province, a distance of 40 kilometres north east of Milan, the regional capital of Lombardy.
Standing at an elevation of 187 metres above sea level it has a population of around 12,000 residents. Nearby places of interest include Crespi d'Adda, Bergamo, Monza and Lake Olginate.
Trezzo sull'Adda is a picturesque town located in the Lombardy region of Italy. Situated along the banks of the Adda River, it offers a harmonious blend of history, natural beauty, and architectural wonders.
Trezzo sull'Adda boasts a rich history that dates back to ancient times. The town was strategically positioned along the Adda River, serving as a vital crossroads for trade and communication. It was inhabited by Celts, Romans, and Lombards throughout different periods. However, its most famous historical landmark is undoubtedly the Trezzo Castle, which played a significant role in the region's history.
Highlights and nearby attractions
- Trezzo Castle: Dominating the town's skyline, Trezzo Castle, also known as Castello Visconteo, is a magnificent medieval fortress. Originally built in the 14th century by the Visconti family, it stands on a rocky outcrop overlooking the Adda River. The castle showcases a stunning blend of architectural styles, including Romanesque, Gothic, and Renaissance. Visitors can explore the castle's interior, which houses a museum displaying medieval artifacts and providing insights into the region's history.
- Adda River Park: The Adda River Park surrounds Trezzo sull'Adda, offering visitors ample opportunities to enjoy the natural beauty of the area. The park features lush green landscapes, walking paths, and picnic spots along the riverbanks. It's an ideal place for leisurely walks, cycling, or simply relaxing amidst tranquil surroundings.
- Ponte Vecchio: Spanning the Adda River, the Ponte Vecchio is a remarkable bridge that connects Trezzo sull'Adda with the neighboring town of Vaprio d'Adda. Built in the 14th century, it is one of the oldest bridges in Lombardy. The bridge provides stunning views of the river and the surrounding countryside, making it a favorite spot for photographers and nature enthusiasts.
- Historic Centre: Trezzo sull'Adda's historic center boasts narrow streets, charming squares, and well-preserved buildings. Explore the town's alleys and you'll discover medieval and Renaissance architectural gems, such as the Church of San Michele and the Oratory of San Rocco. The historic center exudes an enchanting atmosphere, allowing visitors to step back in time and appreciate the town's rich heritage.
- Leonardo da Vinci's Ferry: In Trezzo sull'Adda, you can experience a unique attraction linked to the renowned artist and inventor, Leonardo da Vinci. A replica of da Vinci's ferry, designed to transport people and goods across the Adda River, operates in the town. Visitors have the opportunity to board the ferry and relive a piece of da Vinci's ingenuity and engineering.
- Industrial Archaeological Park: For those interested in industrial history, the Industrial Archaeological Park offers a fascinating exploration of Trezzo sull'Adda's industrial heritage. The park showcases the remains of a hydroelectric power plant, which was one of the first in Italy. It provides insights into the region's early industrialization and the utilization of water resources.
Comune di Trezzo sull'Adda