The beach resort of Cannigione is situated within the Province of Sassari, on Sardinia's north east coast. It's officially part of the Comune of Arzachena.
Places of interest nearby include Baja Sardinia, Porto Cervo and the La Maddalena Archipelago while Olbia Costa Smeralda Airport is 30 kilometres away and reachable by car in 31 minutes.
Cannigione is a charming coastal town located in the northeastern part of Sardinia, Italy. Situated on the Gulf of Arzachena, Cannigione boasts stunning beaches, crystal-clear waters, and a picturesque harbor that makes it an attractive destination for tourists seeking a blend of natural beauty and traditional Sardinian charm.
The history of Cannigione dates back to ancient times when the area was inhabited by the Nuragic civilization. Over the centuries, Cannigione was influenced by various civilizations, including the Phoenicians, Carthaginians, and Romans. Today, the town reflects a mix of ancient history and modern seaside tourism.
Highlights and nearby attractions
- Beaches: Cannigione is surrounded by beautiful beaches and coves, making it an excellent destination for beach lovers. Spiaggia di Mannena, Spiaggia di Barca Bruciata, and Spiaggia di Tanca Manna are some of the nearby beaches worth visiting.
- La Maddalena Archipelago: Cannigione serves as a gateway to the stunning La Maddalena Archipelago, a group of islands with pristine beaches and emerald waters. Boat tours and excursions to the archipelago are popular among visitors.
- Boat Trips: From the harbor in Cannigione, visitors can take boat trips to explore the coastline and nearby islands, including the famous Caprera Island, known for its natural beauty and history related to Giuseppe Garibaldi.
- Watersports: The clear waters of Cannigione are perfect for watersports like snorkeling, scuba diving, and windsurfing. Visitors can rent equipment or join guided tours to explore the underwater world.
- Archaeological Sites: History enthusiasts can visit nearby archaeological sites, such as the Nuraghe la Prisgiona and the Giants' Grave of Coddu Vecchju, to learn about the ancient civilizations that once thrived in the region.
- Local Markets: Cannigione hosts weekly markets where visitors can find local products, crafts, and fresh produce. The markets offer a glimpse into the traditional Sardinian way of life.
- Dining: The town offers a variety of restaurants, pizzerias, and trattorias where visitors can indulge in Sardinian cuisine, including seafood specialties and regional dishes.
- Accommodation: Cannigione provides a range of accommodation options, from hotels and resorts to holiday apartments and bed and breakfasts, catering to different budgets and preferences.
- Accessibility: Cannigione is easily accessible by car from major towns and cities in Sardinia. The nearest airport is Olbia Costa Smeralda Airport, approximately 30 kilometers away.
Cannigione - frazione di Arzachena