The village of Collelongo is situated within the Province of l'Aquila and has a population of around 1,147 inhabitants.
Standing at an elevation of 850 metres above sea level, it covers a total area of 57 km².
Collelongo is the penultimate town on the long road that eventually reaches nearby Villavallelonga.
Situated at Abruzzo's southern border with the neighbouring region of Lazio, it lies just on the fringes of the expansive Abruzzo, Lazio & Molise National Park.
Nestled in the picturesque region of Abruzzo, Italy, Collelongo is a charming village with a history that spans centuries. Its origins can be traced back to ancient times, and over the years, it has been shaped by various civilizations, including the Romans and the medieval period. The village's historical significance is reflected in its architecture, cultural heritage, and the stories it carries from the past.
Collelongo is located in the Abruzzo region of Italy. Accessible by road, it is approximately 170 kilometers (105 miles) east of Rome. The journey takes you through the scenic landscapes of Abruzzo.
Highlights and nearby attractions
- Historical Sites: Wander through Collelongo's cobbled streets and discover its historical architecture. The village's character is evident in its stone buildings, ancient walls, and charming squares.
- Chiesa di Santa Maria delle Grazie: This church is a highlight of Collelongo's religious and architectural legacy. Its façade and interior artwork offer glimpses into the spiritual and cultural heritage of the village.
- Village Views: Collelongo's elevated location offers panoramic views of the surrounding landscapes. Enjoy the breathtaking vistas of the countryside and nearby mountains.
- Natural Beauty: Explore the nearby natural landscapes, whether it's taking a leisurely walk or embarking on a more challenging hike. The pristine beauty of the Apennines provides a serene backdrop.
- Local Cuisine: Savour traditional Abruzzese cuisine at local trattorias and restaurants. Indulge in dishes that capture the flavors of the region, such as hearty pasta dishes, roasted meats, and local cheeses.
- Cultural Events: Collelongo hosts various cultural events and festivals that celebrate the village's traditions, arts, and music. These events provide a glimpse into the local way of life.
- Accommodation: Collelongo offers accommodations including charming bed and breakfasts and guesthouses that provide a comfortable stay.
Comune di Collelongo