Located in the Province of Belluno, Lake Antorno has a surface area of two hectares and a surface elevation of 1,866 metres.
The lake is situated 84 kilometres from the city of Belluno and 175 kilometres north west of Venice, Veneto's regional capital. Nearby places of interest include Lake Misurina, Auronzo di Cadore and the ski resort of Cortina d'Ampezzo.
Lake Antorno (Lago Antorno) is a stunning glacial lake situated in the heart of the Dolomite Mountains in the Veneto region of northern Italy. It is located near the famous Tre Cime di Lavaredo, one of the most iconic mountain groups in the Dolomites.
Lake Antorno was formed during the last Ice Age when glaciers carved the landscape, leaving behind a deep basin that filled with water over time. The lake is surrounded by the majestic peaks of the Dolomites, providing a picturesque and awe-inspiring setting.
Key features and nearby attractions
- Scenic Beauty: The lake offers incredible views of the surrounding peaks, including the famous Tre Cime di Lavaredo, which reflect on the clear waters of the lake, creating a mesmerizing scene.
- Hiking: There are several hiking trails around Lake Antorno, ranging from easy strolls to challenging treks. One of the popular hikes is the trail that leads to the Rifugio Auronzo, offering spectacular panoramic views of the Tre Cime di Lavaredo.
- Photography: Photographers will find plenty of opportunities to capture the breathtaking landscapes and mountain reflections on the lake's surface.
- Fishing: Fishing is allowed in the lake, and anglers can try their luck catching trout in the clear waters.
- Picnicking: The shores of Lake Antorno are ideal for picnics, where visitors can relax and enjoy the tranquility of the surroundings.
- Skiing and Snowshoeing: In the winter months, the lake and surrounding area become a snowy wonderland, attracting skiers and snowshoers to explore the winter landscapes.
- Accessibility: Lake Antorno is easily accessible by car from the town of Misurina. A road leads directly to the lake, and there is a parking area available for visitors.
- Best Time to Visit: The best time to visit Lake Antorno is during the summer months, from June to September, when the weather is milder, and the trails are more accessible. The warm weather allows for outdoor activities and better visibility for enjoying the scenic beauty.