Located in the Province of l'Aquila, Lake Barrea has a surface area of 225 hectares and a maximum depth of 30 metres.
The lake is situated next to the town of Barrea and 114 kilometres from the city of l'Aquila, the regional capital of Abruzzo. Nearby places of interest include Barrea, Civitella Alfedana, Opi, Scanno and Villalago.
Nestled in the captivating region of Abruzzo, Italy, Lake Barrea is a picturesque reservoir with a history that intertwines with the development of the surrounding area. The lake was created in the 1950s as part of a hydroelectric project, resulting in a stunning water body that has since become a popular destination for nature enthusiasts and travelers.
Lake Barrea is located in the Abruzzo region of Italy. Accessible by road, it is approximately 180 kilometers (112 miles) east of Rome. The journey takes you through the scenic landscapes of Abruzzo.
Highlights and nearby attractions
- Natural Beauty: Lake Barrea is surrounded by lush forests, rolling hills, and the majestic Apennine Mountains. The pristine waters of the lake are a sight to behold, reflecting the changing moods of the sky and landscape.
- Boating and Fishing: Enjoy boat rides on the lake to fully immerse yourself in its beauty. Fishing is also a popular activity, allowing you to catch local fish species in the clear waters.
- Scenic Drives: The roads around Lake Barrea offer breathtaking views, making it a great destination for leisurely drives. The picturesque landscapes make every turn a photo opportunity.
- Villages: Nearby, you'll find charming villages, including Barrea itself. These villages provide a glimpse into local life, with cobblestone streets, traditional architecture, and local crafts.
- Hiking and Nature Trails: The surrounding area offers numerous hiking trails that cater to different skill levels. Explore the diverse flora and fauna of the Abruzzo National Park while enjoying the fresh mountain air.
- Photography: Lake Barrea's landscapes are a photographer's dream. Capture the beauty of the lake, mountains, and forests in various lighting conditions.
- Cultural Experiences: Discover the local culture by interacting with residents and visiting historical sites. Learn about the traditions, crafts, and way of life of the region.
- Accommodation: Accommodation options around Lake Barrea range from cozy guesthouses to lakeside lodges, offering a variety of choices for a comfortable stay.
Lago di Barrea