The town of Oriolo is situated within the Province of Cosenza and has a population of 2,067 inhabitants.
Listed as one of the "Borghi Più Belli d'Italia" (Italy's most beautiful villages), it stands at an elevation of 450 metres above sea level. We recommend the B&B Rosa dei Venti while nearby places of interest include Roseto Capo Spulico and Civita.
Oriolo is a picturesque town located in the Calabria region of Italy. With a history dating back to ancient times, the town has been influenced by various civilizations, including the Greeks, Romans, Byzantines, and Normans. Oriolo's rich history is evident in its architecture, traditions, and cultural heritage.
Highlights and nearby attractions
- Oriolo Castle: Visit the iconic Oriolo Castle, a medieval fortress that stands as a testament to the town's history. The castle offers panoramic views of the surrounding landscape and a glimpse into the past.
- Historic Centre: Wander through the narrow streets of the historic centre, where you'll discover charming alleys, centuries-old buildings, and hidden corners that reflect the town's architectural heritage.
- Local Cuisine: Sample traditional Calabrian dishes at local restaurants and trattorias. Oriolo's cuisine highlights fresh ingredients and local flavors that are sure to delight your taste buds.
- Churches and Religious Sites: Explore Oriolo's churches, such as the Church of Santa Maria Assunta and the Church of San Giuseppe. These churches showcase the town's religious heritage and feature beautiful architecture.
- Panoramic Views: Oriolo's elevated position provides stunning panoramic views of the surrounding countryside and the Tyrrhenian Sea. Don't miss the opportunity to capture breathtaking photographs.
- Cultural Festivals: Depending on your timing, you might have the chance to experience local festivals and events that celebrate Oriolo's traditions and culture.
- Local Handicrafts: Discover locally-made crafts and souvenirs that capture the essence of Oriolo. Handicrafts are often inspired by traditional techniques and materials.
- Natural Trails: Explore the natural trails that surround Oriolo, offering opportunities for hiking and enjoying the scenic landscapes of Calabria.
Comune di Oriolo
One of I Borghi più belli d'Italia (Italy's Most Beautiful Villages)
Listing headline: Un Borgo da Salvare
(A Village to be Saved)
Awarded the Bandiera Arancione (Orange Flag)
Listed since: 2016
1 of 6 in Calabria listed by Touring Club Italiano