The city of Quartu Sant'Elena is located within the Province of Cagliari and has a population of 70,531 inhabitants.
Situated on Sardinia's south coast, it lies 6 kilometres east of Cagliari, the regional capital of Sardinia.
The main sight is the Basilica di Sant'Elena Imperatrice while a popular spot nearby is Poetto Beach.
Recommended accommodation for Quartu Sant'Elena is the Best Western Hotel Residence Italia. Nearby places of interest include the mural town of San Sperate and the beach at Mari Pintau.
Quartu Sant'Elena is a vibrant town located in the Metropolitan City of Cagliari in southern Sardinia, Italy. It is situated just a few kilometers east of the regional capital, Cagliari, and is known for its historical heritage, beautiful beaches, and lively atmosphere. Quartu Sant'Elena is the third-largest municipality in Sardinia and offers a mix of history, culture, and natural beauty.
The history of Quartu Sant'Elena dates back to ancient times when it was likely settled by the Phoenicians and later occupied by the Romans. Over the centuries, the town was influenced by various civilizations, including the Byzantines, Arabs, and Spanish. Its strategic location near the coast and the capital of Cagliari contributed to its historical importance.
Highlights and nearby attractions
- Beaches: Quartu Sant'Elena is home to several beautiful beaches along its coastline, including Poetto Beach, which stretches for over 8 kilometers and offers fine white sand and clear blue waters. The beaches are popular among locals and tourists alike for swimming, sunbathing, and water sports.
- Nature Reserves: The town is close to Molentargius-Saline Regional Park, a wetland area known for its pink flamingos and other bird species. The park provides excellent opportunities for birdwatching and nature walks.
- Historical Sites: Quartu Sant'Elena boasts historical landmarks such as the Church of Sant'Agata, a 16th-century church with a distinctive bell tower, and the Church of Sant'Elena Imperatrice, dedicated to Saint Helena.
- Local Festivals: The town hosts traditional festivals and events that celebrate Sardinian culture and traditions, such as the Feast of Sant'Isidoro, which features religious processions and festive activities.
- Cagliari Marina: The town is close to Cagliari Marina, a popular spot for leisure activities, sailing, and boat excursions to nearby islands and coastal areas.
- Gastronomy: Quartu Sant'Elena offers a variety of dining options, from traditional Sardinian trattorias to seafood restaurants. Visitors can savor local dishes and wines in the town's restaurants and pizzerias.
- Outdoor Activities: The surrounding countryside provides opportunities for hiking and cycling, allowing visitors to explore the natural beauty of the area.
- Accessibility: Quartu Sant'Elena is well-connected by public transport, and its proximity to Cagliari makes it easily accessible for travelers arriving by air or ferry.
- Accommodation: The town offers various accommodation options, including hotels, guesthouses, and vacation rentals.
Comune di Quartu Sant'Elena
Province: Metropolitan City of Cagliari
Population: 68,585 (source: ISTAT 1 January 2023)
Size: 96 km²
Highlights: Basilica di Sant'Elena Imperatrice, Poetto Beach
Water quality: Blue Flag Beach 2021 - 2022
Close by: Cagliari, Selargius, San Sperate, Mari Pintau, Solanas
Fly to: Cagliari Elmas Airport - 20 minutes by car (16 km)
Recommended hotel: Best Western Hotel Residence Italia