The sea port of Palau is situated within the Province of Sassari and has a population of around 4,000 inhabitants.
From its ferry port it's possible to sail to the islands that make up La Maddalena Archipelago. Places of interest nearby include Cannigione, Baja Sardinia, Porto Cervo and Capriccioli, while the recommended accommodation in the town is the Hotel Palau.
Palau is a charming coastal town located in the northern part of Sardinia, Italy. Situated on the Gallura region, Palau enjoys a strategic position facing the beautiful Maddalena Archipelago and is surrounded by stunning natural beauty. The town is known for its picturesque harbor, white sandy beaches, and proximity to some of the most captivating islands in the Mediterranean.
The history of Palau dates back to ancient times, as evidenced by the presence of several Nuragic and Roman archaeological sites in the area. Throughout history, Palau has been a strategic location due to its proximity to the Maddalena Archipelago and its role as a maritime crossroads for trade and navigation in the Mediterranean.
Highlights and nearby attractions
- La Maddalena Archipelago: Palau serves as the gateway to the Maddalena Archipelago, a protected national park composed of seven main islands and numerous islets. Visitors can take boat tours to explore the stunning crystal-clear waters, secluded coves, and pristine beaches of this natural paradise.
- Porto Faro and Porto Pollo: These nearby beaches are popular spots for windsurfing, kitesurfing, and other water sports due to their favorable wind conditions and beautiful scenery.
- Fortezza di Monte Altura: The Fortress of Monte Altura, located on a hill above Palau, offers panoramic views of the surrounding area and the coastline. It is a historical site that played a significant role in the defense of the region during various periods.
- Capo d'Orso: Just outside Palau, visitors can find the Capo d'Orso (Bear's Rock) granite formation, resembling a bear gazing out to sea. It's a natural landmark and a great place for a hike with rewarding views.
- Water Activities: Palau offers numerous opportunities for water activities, such as snorkeling, diving, and boat tours, allowing visitors to explore the fascinating marine life and underwater landscapes.
- Town Centre: Palau's town center is characterized by charming streets, lively piazzas, and a variety of shops, restaurants, and cafes. It's a delightful place to stroll and soak in the local atmosphere.
- Access to Corsica: From Palau, visitors can take a ferry to Bonifacio in Corsica, making it a convenient starting point for excursions to the nearby French island.
- Accessibility: Palau is easily accessible by car from major cities in Sardinia. The nearest airport is Olbia Costa Smeralda Airport, located approximately 40 kilometers away.
Comune di Palau
Population: 4,048 (source: ISTAT 1 January 2023)
Size: 44 km²
Water quality: Blue Flag Beach 2021 - 2022
Close by: Cannigione, Baja Sardinia, Porto Cervo, Capriccioli
Ferry destinations: La Maddalena Archipelago
Fly to: Olbia Costa Smeralda Airport - 44 minutes by car (42 km)
Recommended accommodation: Hotel Palau