San Giovanni a Piro
The hill town of San Giovanni a Piro is situated on the Cilento coast, within the Province of Salerno, a distance of 201 kilometres south east of Naples, the regional capital of Campania.
Standing at an elevation of 450 metres above sea level it has a population of around 3,700 residents.
Nearby places of interest include Scario, Camerota, Marina di Camerota and Palinuro.
The recommended accommodation for San Giovanni a Piro is the Tenuta Terre di Bosco, 4.5 kilometres away.
San Giovanni a Piro, located on the Tyrrhenian coast of Campania, Italy, is a picturesque village with a history that dates back to ancient times. The village's history is closely intertwined with its coastal location, which has made it a hub for maritime activities, trade, and cultural exchange.
Throughout history, San Giovanni a Piro has been influenced by various civilizations, including the Greeks, Romans, and Byzantines. Its historical significance is reflected in its architecture, landmarks, and local traditions.
Highlights and nearby attractions
- Coastal Beauty: Enjoy the stunning views of the Tyrrhenian Sea and the pristine coastline that surrounds San Giovanni a Piro.
- Marina di Pisciotta Beach: Relax on the Marina di Pisciotta Beach, a picturesque stretch of shoreline where you can sunbathe, swim, and unwind by the sea.
- Historic Centre: Stroll through the village's historic centre, characterized by narrow alleys, ancient buildings, and quaint squares that offer a glimpse into its rich history.
- Palazzo Ciaccio: Visit Palazzo Ciaccio, a historic palace that showcases the architecture of the region and serves as a cultural center.
- Local Cuisine: Indulge in Campanian cuisine at local trattorias and restaurants. Sample dishes featuring fresh seafood, local produce, and traditional flavors.
- Outdoor Activities: Engage in outdoor activities such as coastal hikes, boat tours, and exploring the surrounding natural beauty.
- Local Festivals: If your visit coincides with local festivals and events, experience traditional music, dance, and cultural celebrations that highlight the village's heritage.
- Accommodation: San Giovanni a Piro offers accommodations ranging from guesthouses to seaside lodgings, ensuring a comfortable stay.
Comune di San Giovanni a Piro