The village of Guardia Perticara is situated within the Province of Potenza and has a population of 540 inhabitants. Listed as one of the "Borghi Più Belli d'Italia" (Italy's most beautiful villages), it stands at an elevation of 725 metres above sea level.
The nearest hotel is 11 km away while nearby places of interest include Aliano, Viggiano, Craco, Spinoso, Moliterno and Pisticci.
Guardia Perticara, nestled in the Basilicata region of Italy, is a charming village with a history that dates back to ancient times. Its strategic hilltop location made it a defensive outpost, and over the centuries, it has retained its authentic character while welcoming visitors to experience its natural beauty and cultural heritage.
Highlights and nearby attractions
- Historical Village: Wander through the narrow streets of the historical centre, where you'll find traditional stone houses, ancient archways, and a serene ambiance. The architecture reflects the village's historical significance.
- Castello di Guardia Perticara: Explore the ruins of the Castello di Guardia Perticara, a medieval fortress that offers panoramic views of the surrounding landscapes. The castle provides insight into the village's defensive past.
- Churches and Monuments: Visit the Church of San Rocco and the Church of Santa Maria Maggiore, which showcase Guardia Perticara's religious and architectural heritage.
- Natural Beauty: Embrace the tranquility of the surrounding landscapes, which include rolling hills, lush forests, and breathtaking vistas. Guardia Perticara is a starting point for nature hikes and outdoor activities.
- Local Crafts: Discover local artisans and shops that offer traditional crafts, including ceramics and textiles. These creations often reflect the region's cultural heritage.
- Local Cuisine: Indulge in traditional Basilicata flavors at local trattorias. Sample regional dishes, cheeses, and products that capture the essence of the area.
- Cultural Events: Depending on your visit, you might have the opportunity to participate in local festivals, fairs, and cultural events that showcase Guardia Perticara's traditions.
- Hospitality: Experience the warm hospitality of the local community, who are eager to share their village's history and way of life with visitors.
Comune di Guardia Perticara
One of I Borghi più belli d'Italia (Italy's Most Beautiful Villages)
Listing headline: La Dura Faccia della Pietra
(The Hard Face of the Stone)
Awarded the Bandiera Arancione (Orange Flag)
Listed since: 2011
1 of 2 in Basilicata listed by Touring Club Italiano